Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Is there Love in the Telematic Embrace


    
    In the reading by Roy Ascott, "Is there Love in the Telematic Embrace", I believe that there is love in the Telematic Embrace but I also do see the dangers as Ascott says. "Deep seated fears of the machine coming to dominate the human will and of a technological formalism erasing human content and values.” It's a bit disturbing, but it comes back to the fear of Post Humanism. We as humans are trusting technology with our lives, personal data and our feelings. Communication through digital technologies could be helpful for professional life, but it could be dangerous when it comes to building relationships through telematics. 

Is there love in the Telematic Embrace? Yes, because we can easily be drawn into it, we can develop these "feelings" and "connections" but is it REAL love? What is love? Could you fall in love in the telematics? I think that some of us are confusing these feelings and possibly filling a void in the real world. Ultimately, we are living in a Simulacra. It's a representation of someone or something, it could  be real and it could be false. It could be false in the sense that it's not physical and without being physical, we are losing our ability to communicate and focus on living in the real world. On top of that, it's creating this barrier between real life and a virtual one. How do we know what's real anymore and how do we understand it? In the telematic world, we can create deep connections and feelings, but I believe that love is something to be developed in person. Personally, I feel It's difficult to easily trust what's out in the unknown world of the telematics, but I do believe that we're living in a time where people easily trust technology and connections within social media. This is why it could be dangerous, because do we really know them with the love created in the telematic embrace?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cesarini_Final

I hope you have a great Holiday break!!! EmCesarini.github.io Website Direct Link